Friday, February 19, 2010

Dangers of Refusals

So as some of you know I live in NC. Last summer a football player died after a paramedic allowed him to refuse treatment. You can read the article here. After reading the call report that was available here I began to wonder what this medic was thinking. So after several months, the family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit. You can read it here. Its pretty compelling.

This whole situation got me to thinking about all the patients that I have let refuse. I try to transport every patient because I am not a doctor and they called me for a reason. I never like letting patients refuse because it is such a liability. This paramedic is in serious trouble if you ask me. First it is NEVER ok to let a minor sign a refusal....ever. Based only on the information available, I would have transported him to the hospital due to his presenting complaints, history of asthma and because I could not get a hold of his parents.

I think the take home message is simple, be careful when letting patients refuse your care. If you exhaust all options, then document the living snot out of your report.

No comments:

Post a Comment