Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Burn out my A##

Alright over at 9-Echo-1 there's a thread about a couple of FDNY EMTs that supposedly refused to help a pregnant mother who later died and her baby died, because they were on a coffee break. First I sure hope that this did not play out the way it sounds and my condolences go out to the family.

Ok so now that I got that out of the way lets address this "burn out" garbage. Apparently we EMTs and Medics get too tired, overworked, underpaid, etc. Well not to sound nasty about it but we all knew that was the scenario before we left EMT class so get over it. All of us chose this job and understood the sacrifices we would have to make. Burn out is an excuse to use when one is feeling overwhelmed. I've found myself feeling tired and all that before but you know what I tell myself, AT LEAST I HAVE A FRIGGEN JOB. I may get sick of the nonsense that goes on but I chose this job and I applied at my current employer because I WANTED TO. So basically its time for all the EMTs and Paramedics to MAN THE HELL UP ALREADY. This job isn't for everyone. You either suck it up and continue doing the job you were trained to do or go find something else to do. Either way quit making the rest of us look bad because you can't handle the stress of the job.

Good grief its like having a bunch of kids. I'm not your momma and no I don't want you to whine to me about how bad it is. Either do something about it or shut the hell up about it. I can't stand whiners, excuse makers, laziness or dumbass. If you're that unhappy then quit and go do something else but stop making excuses for this kind of behavior. The more of us that find this to be unacceptable then the better chance we have at changing the mindset.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%, however, burn out is real. That being said though, if one feels it, they need to get out and find a new line of work. I've burned out more times than I care to speak of and after awhile I always end up coming back. The excuses of those two EMT's on a coffee break are just bogus. I seriously think that there is a lot more going on, quite possibly politically incorrect in their thinking and demenour. The fact that burn out was used is a copout and scapegoat. I hope that they are made an example of. Great blog, btw. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, good post. My feeling is clear. While I guess we can call the syndrome of being overworked, overtired, and underpaid something, I don't think 'burn out' is the term. It suggests something permanent.

    Over the past 34 years there have been times that I am tired and frustrated. I always took a step back, maybe changed jobs, or took a break from all of the part time work (kind of like I am doing now).

    I knew what I was getting into waaaay back when. To me, from my point of view, too many people use the term 'burnout' as too much of a crutch or excuse.

    Later.

    ReplyDelete