Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Newbies in EMS

Alright so its been a couple of months since my last post. During this time I have started to help out teaching at the community college I got my degree at. Tonight I was there helping with patient assessment, vital signs and history taking. I must say that most of the students were ready to learn and listen to what I had to say but there were a few that felt as if they knew it all. Well those met their match tonight. I may not be super knowledgeable about things in EMS but I do know how to assess a patient. I noticed a couple of students rolling their eyes and so I posed the "ok you've been dispatched to an injured person" and I sat there. Smartie pants said well how did the pt hurt themselves. I said well are you sure this pt is hurt, did you make sure your scene was safe, oh yeah and how about you ask your 16 y/o patient the questions". Ok so you get the idea I was not all that nice. Reality is that if you are at week 2 of EMT class, don't act like you know everything that's going on and that this is all too basic for you. I've been in EMS for 4 years and I ALWAYS learn something from every call I go to and from every partner I have. I really like riding with seasoned EMTs and Medics because sometimes they ask a question I never would have thought to ask.

My advice to all the newbies out there is this: humble yourself before you make a big mistake and always try to learn from those who have more experience. You will NEVER know it all and the sooner you come to terms with that the better provider you will be.

2 comments: